Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Verizon Android phones

I went to Verizon today to get something fixed on my bill ($45 for unlimited email and web? I THINK NOT YOU CORPORATE ASSHOLES!) and, while waiting, I took it upon myself to play with the Motorola Droid phone.



It was alright, but I didn't like it. Here's why: It's too clunky. It's small yes, but it doesn't feel like a new phone (specifically one that's competing with the iPhone) should. Having an actual keyboard is cool, but at the same time I'm used to typing on a touch screen that's a lot smaller than that one. Also having to go into landscape mode to view teh interwebz annoys me to no end. I only look at UtahHondas.net in landscape mode, everything else is viewed in portrait mode in my world. I really dig the Android OS, it kicks the shit out of Windows Mobile.

Side note, ever have something on your phone just suddenly stop working? Happens to me about once a week. The Windows start thing just disappears, along with everything along the top of my screen (battery meter, service indicators, volume). It's so much fun having to turn my phone off then back on just to be able to fire off a text.

Android feels more fluid,and easier to use. Windows Mobile makes me feel like either a dunce when something goes wrong, or like I want to throw the phone into traffic

So basically I'm not getting a Droid because I don't like it. I'm also not getting one because it'd run me $200 and I'm not dropping that kind of cash on a phone...on a phone that isn't an iPhone. But there another phone!



It's the HTC Droid Eris. I know it's only running Android 1.5 and it's basically a rebadged Hero, but it felt better. It felt better in my hands, playing around on it felt smoother, and it looked better.

Cnet.com gave both phones 4 out of 5, but I give the edge to the HTC phone. Now all I have to do is count down the days until I'm eligible for an upgrade and save my pennies

1 comment: