Thursday, February 25, 2010

Evo vs. STi

On Utah Hondas we're having a debate about which is better, the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution or the Subaru WRX STi. We're talking about the Evo VIII & IX and the 04-07 STi's, not the Evo X and STI hatchback. The ones that are reasonably priced, and more readily available.

I'm squarely in the STi camp. I think the 06-07 STi's look better than the Evo and they sound amazing. Others say I'm wrong and say the Evo IX is the more beautiful rally box and sounds better because it doesn't "sound like a blown up Honda".

I've had the pleasure of shooting and riding in both, so I'm going to post up my favorite shots of each and then let you pick your homologization special. Feel free to explain your choice as a comment. Let the battle continue!

STi:
GT Live 2008 Day 1
GT Live Day 2
Mark Miller meet-18

Evo:
Tommy-7
UH cuts (3 of 6)
GT Live 2008 Day 1

3 comments:

  1. If I had to choose between only these two, I'd opt for the Lancer, but not because it's a 300hp, all wheel drive car. I've been a Mitsubishi owner for more than 14 years and a rally fan almost as long. Mitsubishi has long built rally cars and, just as I'm doing with my 91 Galant VR4, I'd want to use the Mitsubishi platform to inspire more Mitsu owners to get involved in rally.

    The flat-brimmed hat-wearing, street tuner poseurs have all but eradicated any real rally heritage these cars have. Nevermind that they only exist because the manufacturers needed to homologate a limited number of models in order to compete at the WRC level on dirt and gravel. Today they're predominately used to look cool in front of college buddies who just spent a lot of money at the local tuner shop too.

    If you're looking for the all around best rally car platform, it's the one you can get for next to nothing. It's RWD, built like a brick shithouse, and has thirty years of aftermarket support behind it.

    Comprehensive rally car prep to the rules can easily set you back $10,000. You can put that ten large into a $100 Volvo and go rally, or you can spend three times as much on a new, AWD car that you'll drive like a little girl because you're afraid to stuff it on the next corner.

    I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for "just sayin'" I wasn't necessarily talking about buying a car to go out and rally. The point of this was if you had to buy one, and live with it every day and go out and play with it on the weekends which would you rather have.

    ReplyDelete