Saturday, October 10, 2009

Lesson Learnin Time

So this week I've had 2 shoots in which I've learned some very important lessons. Let's start with the first shoot and what I got out of that:

CRX-2

Lesson 1: Fresh Batteries every time, all the time.

If you poke through the massive 4 picture set on flickr you'll notice that there's a lot of flat light going on. Why is that? Well it's because my transmitter/receiver set was low on batteries, specifically on the receiver side. That meant I had to be hella close to the receiver in order for it to fire. By hella close I mean 18 inches, therefore the flat light.

Lesson 2: Do not piss off the locals, cause they were there first. I managed to piss off the neighbors when I took this shot:

Si

From what I was told (I was being yelled at in Spanish, so the owner of the car had to translate) my flashes were lighting up their house about 125 yards away. I didn't understand much, but when I heard "policia" and "aqui" I decided to change my set up.

Lesson 3: Photoshop when you need to.

civic and crx

Look at the CRX. Look closely at it. Look around the passenger side headlight. Notice something? It's the flash I used to light up the Civic. I was going to take care of that, but I got lazy. And now it haunts me, like the beating of a hideous heart!

That was Wednesday, now on to Thursday's shoot:

car-1

Lesson 4: Chicks > Cars

Don't get me wrong. When I saw it coming down my street I thought it was an R35. It's a gorgeous car, no arguing about that. And the owner's girlfriend (my friend Kathleen) is equally gorgeous. This brings me to my question: Which photo is more popular?:

a:
car-9

b:
Kat-1

If you guessed A then you're wrong. B currently has 24 views while A has 16. This trend is true of every photo on my flickr page where there's a girl and a car. The girl picture always has more, no matter what. Hot girl pwns record holding Supra, 9 second Civic hatchback, drift car. There is one odd trend, but that's another topic for another day.

Lesson 5: Look before you leap.

car-2
car-5

I'm catching a lot of flack for these two shots in particular. Why? The glare from the over head lights and my reflection in the front bumper. Did I notice the glare? From the moment the owner parked the car, but I didn't care. It looked cool and and brought out some of the more subtle lines in the car. My reflection, on the other hand, I noticed when I was in Photoshop cleaning up the front bumper. I would have nixed it, but the owner and his girlfriend don't seem to mind (or if they do they aren't telling me) so I'm in one of their pictures.

Learn from my failings and you will succeed! Well, maybe not succeed but you'll do better.

AND I made a literary reference somewhere in this post. First person to correctly identify the reference (title and author of oiginal work, and quote the reference back to me) gets a free reasonably priced lunch on me!

1 comment:

  1. "It is the beating of his hideous heart" The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allen Poe.

    ReplyDelete